August 1st will mark the conclusion of Phase One of the transition process, which was basically “move over all the hardware and pretty much keep running things the same as they’ve always been.” It also heralds the beginning of Phase Two, where we fully integrate Fallen Earth into the GamersFirst publishing platform.
This mostly means we’re making a lot of back-end changes, and I’m sure it sounds rather vague, so here is a breakdown of the actual changes that affect you!
On August 1st:
- You will need a GamersFirst account to log in to Fallen Earth (which is no big deal, because we give them away for free so you should make one now)
- You will need to merge your Fallen Earth account with your G1 account Voltron-style to keep all your characters, reward points, and account history intact. This process will be available on August 1st. To active subscribers who complete this process by August 5th, we'll be handing out some free G1 Credits as our way of saying thank you for undertaking the transition! Which will be useful because...
- The Fallen Earth website is getting an eXtreme makeover! The Fallen Earth Store will now be integrated with the GamersFirst marketplace. From this point on you'll be able to use G1 Credits to purchase Fallen Earth Store items.
Some payments and subscriptions will be affected. Read on if you pay PayPal or Click&Buy.
If, as of August 1st, your subscription is paid directly with a credit card it will automatically recur without your having to do anything. If your subscription is paid with PayPal or Click&Buy, however, your subscription will not recur in August and you will need to resubscribe. This is not optimal, and we’re sorry :(. We would prefer to allow accounts paid via PayPal and Click&Buy to continue recurring, but certain things prevent us from doing so and we must make lemons of this lemonade. Note that characters and items will of course not be affected if your subscription lapses, but any reward points you’re currently accruing for having a continuous subscription will revert to the default 10 if there is a gap. To prevent any gap in service, please make sure to resubscribe immediately following August 1st (more reminders will of course be sent out closer to this date).
Additional changes that generally don’t affect current subscribers but will also be in place as of August 1st:
- New subscriptions will continue to come with one additional “Buddy” product key, but will no longer come with an ATV or Classy Feathered Top Hat (we feel that the new player experience of building your first ATV is valuable, and don't want the initial purchase to bypass that)
- The base price for upgrading from a trial will be reduced from $19.99 to $14.99
In summary, on August 1st before you log in to the game you will be prompted to merge your Fallen Earth account with a GamersFirst account. Once you’ve completed the merge, from then on you will log in to Fallen Earth with your GamersFirst account. If you have a credit card subscription from then on you’re good to go; if you use PayPal or Click&Buy, you’ll need to resubscribe. Accounts that complete this transition by August 5th will receive some "thank-you" G1 Credits. New upgrades will only need to pay $14.99, and will receive a Buddy key, but no hat or ATV. The full Free2Play transition is currently still underway, and we’re making good time.
A couple points not addressed in this blog are the Subscriber Appreciation Gifts (what subscribers will get each month leading up to the Free2Play transition), the forthcoming Veteran Reward (what you will get if you have ever purchased a copy of, or upgraded, Fallen Earth), and the upcoming gameplay changes. These will be addressed in the next few blogs!
As always, thanks for reading, and remember to post a comment if you have questions!